Thursday, March 14, 2013

Breast Isn't Always Best

There has been a lot of controversy lately about bottle vs. breast due to the ban on formula in hospitals in some parts of the country. I have breastfed all of my children and loved it...until recently.

I nursed my twins until they were 10-months-old. I nursed my daughter until she was 10-months-old. They all weaned themselves and it was a very natural process. I nursed #4 until, well, today. He's 9 1/2-months-old. Truth be told, I should have weaned him a long time ago. See, he's a biter. Where my others may have bit once or twice. He bites all the time. I'm talking every nursing session. I'm in pain doing something that is supposed to be natural and beautiful, but it has become a thing of blood and tears. Not cool.

I've held off weaning him because I know how precious nursing can be. He's my last baby and I knew I'd never experience that special time again. But lately it just wasn't worth it. I was dealing with the guilt of giving him something other than my milk; tonight, I just couldn't handle it anymore.

As we snuggled together before his bedtime with a bottle contentedly hanging from his lips. I felt such a calm and peace that I knew I'd made the right decision. Feeding time isn't going to be laced with fear anymore. I looked into his gorgeous little faced, touched by the hand of God Himself and knew I'd made the right choice.

I hate that it had to go down like this. I wish it could have been like his big brothers where one day I truly forgot to nurse them and we never looked back. I wish that I didn't have to make this decision amongst tears. But it is what it is. Right now, for me and my son, breast isn't best.

No comments:

Post a Comment