Sunday, October 20, 2013

Have Kids, Will Travel

My mom just left after a week long visit. As her flight was early in the morning, we stayed in a hotel the night before so we wouldn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn. Travelling with children is a challenge at best, but it can also be a lot of fun (sometimes).
The water was so ridiculously cold!


The kids were actually really well behaved at breakfast.
Which was wonderful because I was by myself at this point.
Notice the wide berth around the baby.
He'd already grabbed two glasses of juice,
oatmeal,and his brother's yogurt.
Here is the list of what I packed for one night...
  • changes of clothes for five people (two changes for the baby)
  • four teddy bears
  • four books
  • three sets of arm floaties
  • one big baby floatie thing
  • five swimsuits
  • pack-n-play
  • pack-n-play sheet that didn't fit
  • blanket
  • tablet and charger
  • cell phone and charger
  • diapers
  • wipes
  • toiletry bag

Here is what I forgot...
  • swim diapers
  • diaper rash cream
  • toothpaste
  • sippy cup (I know. I can't believe I forgot that either)
  • hair detangler (thank goodness they had good conditioner)
After mom left, I had to wrangle the crew by myself. It was only by the grace of God that we made it through with such ease. Believe me, packing the car back up, with that much stuff, and that many kids, with only one adult is a challenge. But we did it relatively unscathed.

Once we got home, things quickly got back to normal. Teddy bear in the toilet right before nap? Check. But that's a story for another time.

I'm curious. What do you pack for a short excursion?

4 comments:

  1. Since we only have kiddo on the weekends we don't get much of a chance to travel. Since we both have curly hair, we never leave without our Biosilk, which acts as a detangler. Sunscreen of course in the summer. When she was younger we had a backpack that we left coloring books, extra sippy cup, wipes, homemade snack packs, extra undies and clothes so we were always prepared when we went out. Thanks for stopping by yumeating.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should keep and "emergency bag" in the car but I'm not that organized lol. Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, Mama! You are amazing! I'll have to tell you about our first overseas travel with two kids sometime. The plus is that we are truly limited in what we can bring, which requires very strategic decisions. The challenge is an almost 24-hour trip door-to-door to visit Jan's parents in Germany. Stories, stories emerge as you can imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, Britta. I can't wait to hear that story. Planning to do it again,? ;)

    ReplyDelete